Surprisingly it works perfectly fine for 4.15.0-041500-generic.

I have tested vers= parameter from 1.0 to 3.0 - no issues at all.

I went forward and tested v4.14 - it is not affected by the issue as
well.

  mount.cifs stopped working with protocol version != 1.0

  On a Xenial installation after upgrading to the HWE 4.13.0-32-generic
  kernel it is not possible to use mount.cifs with -o vers=x.y different
  than 1.0.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Setup a local Samba share.
  2. Run:
  mount.cifs -o user=<myuser>,vers=2.0 //localhost/theshare/ /mnt/theshare
  (please note that not specifying the vers= option results in using protocol
SMB2.1 which also results in the error).
  3. This may be repeated for the following versions: 2.0, 2.1, 3.0.

  Expected result:
  The share gets mounted at /mnt/theshare.

  Actual result:
  The share is not mounted, this gets printed in the console (and in dmesg):
  [  232.439162] CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-2