[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  [xhci_hcd] HC died · USB controller died, reboot necessary

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  * Ubuntu release: 17.04
  * uname -r: 4.10.0-42-generic
  * Expected behaviour: the USB ports run well
  * What happens: the USB ports are randomly killed from time to time

  * Explanation:
  The xhci_hcd driver reports that the xHCI host is not responding to a stop
endpoint command. The USB host controller is then shut down and all USB ports
are left dead until a reboot is performed. This is not immediate nor
predictable --- sometimes, it can be days before it happens; sometimes it is
just hours.

  If I understood correctly, there is no way to reload the kernel module
  of the USB driver, because it is baked into the kernel at compile
  time. Something like that? :)

  When rebooting, the shutdown process completes (it reports a "shutdown
  target achieved" or similar), but is unable to unmount the /home/user
  partition. Therefore, the system does not shutdown unless I press the
  power button (hard shutdown). I do not know if there is a way to get a
  TTY at that point to manually unmount the partition. The home folder
  is encrypted... I do not know if this has something to do with it, but
  this error only occurs when the USB HC is killed.

  I suspect the USB problem has to do with an external USB hub by TP-
  LINK. It seems to only fail when this device is connected. The hub
  model is UH400, by TP-LINK.

  Anything I can add, just ask for it!
  Thanks a lot!