Hi Joseph,
I have installed kernel 4.16.0-041600rc2_4.16.0-041600rc2.201802190311 and - it
works!!!
I booted about 30 times, the xserver always runs and everything was fine.

So it looks like the issue will be solved with kernel 4.16.

I hope the daily build of "Bionic Beaver" will received that kernel
soon.

Thank you for help
Harald

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  xserver does not work with kernel 4.13.0-32

  Hi,

  on one of my desktop computers (pls see file System.html) the xserver does
not start anymore with kernel version 4.13.0-32. After logon, the KUbuntu
splash appears, the HDD works some seconds, than the drive stops an the
computer does not react anymore at all.

  Just a SSH connection is possible, but a reboot or shutdown command results
only in "connection closed". The computer does not react on these commands.

  The computer has to be switched off be hard power off, reset or magic
  code REISUB. Using the xorg graphics driver instead the recommended
  nvidia driver does not fix the issue.

  But, the "problem computer" works fine with the old kernel version
  4.13.0-25 as well as older kernel versions.

  However, two other computers, both with other CPUs and motherboards,
  (one of them has the same graphics card and driver), works well with
  kernel 4.13.0-32.

  Thank you for help
  Harald