** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  BCM5719/tg3 loses connectivity due to missing heartbeats between fw
  and driver

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  Triaged

  User reported several nodes lost connectivity in several situations,
  for instance during the netboot, in which a flood of arp traffic
  happens due to multiple simultaneous boot across the cluster.

  No stack trace or message is seen, the device just stop receiving
  packets.

  In our attempts to reproduce the issue BCM5719 lost connectivity,
  always only under a heavy arp storm, in the follow situations:

  - changing MTU
  - interface configuration (with ifconfig or ip tool)
  - netboot

  In order to fix the issue we need to include the upstream patches:

  1 -
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=748a240c5
  which reads: "tg3: Fix rx hang on MTU change with 5717/5719 "

  2 -
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=506b0a395
  which reads: "tg3: APE heartbeat changes"

  Considering that 18.04 is planned to use linux 4.15 we will need to
  backport only the second patch.

  I'll submit it to the ml and post here a reference.