Public bug reported:

This is a rehash of
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/783660>.  linux-
tools in xenial and later is again dynamically linking against libbfd.
It should not; this makes linux-tools packages not installable across
releases, which is important for debugging etc., because of a strict
versioned dependency on binutils.  This also prevents us from e.g. being
able to forward-copy kernels between releases when this is appropriate.

I understand the preferred option is to drop the linkage against libbfd
completely.  Either this should be done, or libbfd should be statically
linked.

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)