We changed the default to madvise, as using it as always results in
performance regressions in our testing. See bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1703742.

Have you run any specific tests on Power Systems that would justify
changing the setting for ppc64el only?

Thanks.
Cascardo.

  Ubuntu18.04:PowerPC - Set Transparent Huge Pages (THP) by default to
  "always"

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  Triaged
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  == Comment: #0 - Praveen K. Pandey <praveen.pan...@in.ibm.com> - 2018-03-06
02:06:31 ==
  Problem Description :

  PowerPC systems running Ubuntu18.04 have Transparent Huge Pages (THP)
  always set to "madvise". It should be by default set to "always".

  Reproducible Step:

  1-  Install Ubuntu 18.04 on PowerPC box
  2- cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
  3- grep  "TRANSPARENT" /boot/config-$(uname -r)

  it is set to  madvise

  LOG:

  root@system:~# grep  "TRANSPARENT" /boot/config-$(uname -r)
  CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
  CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
  # CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_ALWAYS is not set
  CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_MADVISE=y
  CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGE_PAGECACHE=y
  root@system:~# cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
  always [madvise] never