I think the answer does not cover my question, as the ZFS driver is
linked to the kernel, which evolves with point releases and/or HWE
kernels on LTS versions.

To make it as practical as possible, let's assume ZFS 0.8 gets released
in June. I think I now can conclude it will not get backported to the
4.15 kernel shipped with Bionic.

Then the next question is: would it be included in 18.10? If that's the
case, would it then come to the LTS through HWE or the point release as
well?

** Changed in: zfs-linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  What is the zfs support policy wrt. LTS releases?

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  If we consider the zfs 0.x releases as being major (0.6, 0.7, 0.8), is
  the assumption correct that LTS releases will not receive a new major
  ZFS release ?

  To be as practical as possible: Bionic will be stuck at zfs 0.7.x,
  Xenial at zfs 0.6.x ?

  If my assumption is wrong, when would Xenial see zfs 0.7 ?

  Has a policy been defined ?