@ Joseph S:

So I downloaded the daily from the Ubuntu-MATE daily, as that is the
package I have been working with and having the problem with, so the
4/2/18 daily and burned it to DVD as previously, install runs well, no
errors or crashes . . . but this time I tried the old recommendation to
shut down after install, rather than just reboot . . . GRUB window loads
fine . . . but, the problem remains--entering password in the GUI log in
window . . . goes to various forms of black . . . and then back into the
log in window.  Previous to the install I booted the live session and it
loaded the system just fine and I fiddled with a few apps, set the time
. . . all that more or less went well, I tried to launch "Appearance"
and that did crash, and I tried again and it opened--but the crash
reporter opened and I added my name to a previous bug . . . and then I
tried the fresh install after that.

As part of the back story, I "zsync'd" the daily and zsync showed the
previous file was "94.3% complete" . . . so after the daily was zsync'd
I thought I would just try to update/upgrade the prior installation to
see if the log in problem was fixed . . . going that way by using the
TTY . . . and that didn't fix the problem, so I went to fresh install.

Also, following a recommend from the U-MATE forum I tried to reboot into
Recovery . . . and in selecting "enable networking" . . . a menu like
list of tasks started . . . ending with "reached target swap" and then
it returned to a blinking cursor for several minutes . . . when I ctrl
C'd out of it the rest of the ?? dmesg??  hardware items ran through,
but the recovery menu did not load again to try to run "dpkg" . . . so
it appears things still aren't correct in Recovery??

Again, after the install I rebooted several times, logged into a TTY
session, ran update/upgrade, there were "21 packages" to install . . .
it seemed to "get" 4 of them, but then other packages were seemingly
"unpacked" . . . packages that were nabbed in recovery?? but not
"installed" . . . it's still a bit odd.  In the TTY I ran "ls -l
/home/username" . . . and as before it shows the directories and files
that are in the /home filesystem . . . so the TTY is letting me log in
upgrade/update . . . the /home filesystem is "found" but the GUI is not
letting me log in.

  log in to GUI in U-MATE daily 18.04 fails

  Tried two installs on a daily of U-MATE 18.04 burned to DVD, and each
  time the install seemed to go well, no errors reported, no crash
  reports filed . . . on reboot, grub loads and the MATE log in window
  opens, typing the password brings a black screen for a few seconds,
  and then back to the log in window.

  Tried to install another DE to test whether that would work and that
  also failed.  Ran "dpkg" in the recovery system . . . found some
  updates but couldn't seem to download them; back into TTY and ran
  update/upgrade . . . showed 75 packages, which it installed . . .
  didn't fix the failure to log in problem.  Did an "ls -l
  /home/username" . . . and it showed the /home contents of the
  directory as being there, but the system is not logging into the GUI.