Sure, it's not designed for 44W by Intel. I only measured 27W maximum
when configured to 44W. It's just that the laptop is likely configured
for an overall thermal limit of 44W because it can house a MX150 with
the same cooling system (dual heat pipe). In any case, on Windows it is
not bound by 15W long term, but runs higher, averaging at about 30W from
what I read.

The thermal point I wrote the same I think. On Linux the offset is 20,
on Windows it seems higher, as it reaches 90C and more.

  Significantly lower power and thermal limits on ThinkPad T480s (and
  probably others) than on Windows

  A ThinkPad T480s under windows has a power limit of 44W, both short
  and long term, with a thermal maximum of about 93C or so. Under Linux,
  the power limits are 44W and 15W (short) or so, and the thermal limit
  is 80C, causing a significant performance loss.

  Looking at MSR and MCHBAR values, we can see that the values are
  correctly at 44W in the MSR, but the MCHBAR is set to a lower value:

  $ sudo rdmsr -a 0x610
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  42816000dd8160
  $ sudo /home/jak/Downloads/iotools-1.5/iotools mmio_read64 0xfed159a0
  0x0042816000dd8078

  Setting the MCHBAR to the same value as the MSR register solves the problem.
At some point intel-rapl seems to reduce overall frequency to 600 MHz, though.

  The thermal limit is configured in MSR register 0x1a2; rdmsr -f 29:24
  -d 0x1a2 returns 20. Setting those bits to 7 increases it, resulting
  in performance comparative to Windows.

  Most of the analysis is based on the analysis in

  https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/870u0a/t480s_linux_throttling_bug/

  This applies to all bionic kernels I have tested so far, including

  Ubuntu 4.15.0-13.14-generic 4.15.10
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/pcmC2D0p:   jak        5881 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  jak        5881 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  jak        5881 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  jak        5881 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180313)
  MachineType: LENOVO 20L8S02D00
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: root=/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root ro rootflags=subvol=@
quiet splash vt.handoff=1
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-13-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-13-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.173
  Tags:  bionic
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip kvm lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True
  dmi.bios.date: 01/22/2018
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: N22ET31W (1.08 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 20L8S02D00
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: None
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrN22ET31W(1.08):bd01/22/2018:svnLENOVO:pn20L8S02D00:pvrThinkPadT480s:rvnLENOVO:rn20L8S02D00:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:
  dmi.product.family: ThinkPad T480s
  dmi.product.name: 20L8S02D00
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad T480s
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO