Here is another observation, when I run virtualbox on 17.10, and then
create a guest OS with 18.04 it runs fine, no kernel crashes. Thus this
evidence seems to point to the fact that 18.04 is not playing nicely
with the HP BIOS, but 17.10 does play nicely. 18.04 seems to have no
problems with the virtual BIOS provided by VirtualBox.

  ubuntu/xubuntu 18.04 kernel crash during install.

Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  I've been trying to install ubuntu 18.04, but the system crashes with a
kernel panic and thus won't run. So how do I report this bug?
  The system passes all memory tests and runs 17.10 with no problems, but will
not run 18.04

  There is very little data gathering that I can do, as the system will
  not boot, not even into text mode.

  PS. This back door way of creating a bug report is very poor when
  dealing with systems that don't run.

  The steps required to reproduce this bug are:
  1) download Ubuntu and/or Xubuntu
  2) burn the installation image to a dvd
  3) insert dvd into target computer
  4) power on target computer
  5) wait a couple of seconds
  6) Stare at frozen screen saying Kernel panic