Florian, thanks for the heads-up and for pursuing this. I read some of
the links pointed out in that bug, and I see there is much to improve
yet, and 4.17 might not have the best pkeys story for powerpc. Maybe we
should just disable that test in the meantime.

About the particular problem we saw here in our case:

FAIL: misc/tst-pkey
original exit status 1
error: ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/tst-pkey.c:200: pkey_alloc: No space left on
device
error: 1 test failures

Running this on a system I got hold onto, I got the same issue.

Likely, this is due to pkey_disabled from
arch/powerpc/include/asm/pkeys.h:mm_pkey_alloc, which would be the case
as in arch/powerpc/mm/pkeys.c:pkey_initialize:

        if (!pkey_mmu_enabled() || radix_enabled() || !pkeys_total)
                static_branch_enable(&pkey_disabled);
        else
                static_branch_disable(&pkey_disabled);

I don't think EINVAL should be returned instead. Returning ENOSPC in
such a case seems reasonable, and any pkey code should be able to handle
that case. So, one more thing to fixup in the tests expectations.

Cascardo.

  glibc pkeys test fail on powerpc

Status in glibc package in Ubuntu:
Status in glibc source package in Cosmic:
  Confirmed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:

  powerpc introduced protection keys support, now present on 4.17
  kernel.

  glibc has a tst-pkey that fails on powerpc, and that needs further
  investigation.