I am a Linux Mint user, of course which is downstream from Ubuntu.  At
the bottom of my post is an "inxi -Fxz" output with my machine info.  I
am replying because I am getting issues with exactly the same kernels
(4.15 and up), and 4.14 installed unconventionally via Ukuu seems okay.

My problems that I noticed were:

1) plugged-in HDD (Dell Latitude media bay, SATA bus), no drive
recognized.  Reboot with drive plugged in required.

2) wireless settings in Dell BIOS go ignored:
   a) wireless switch (WLAN, WWAN, Bluetooth)  -this is three checkboxes to
configure each to be controlled by the physical switch on the right side of
laptop.
   b) wireless enable (WLAN, WWAN, Bluetooth)  -again, three checkboxes, these
enable or disable each.

The resulting behaviors for 2) included physical wireless switch on
right-hand side of laptop being enabled, even though I had it disabled
in BIOS.  Also wireless connectivity had dropouts.

The wireless devices I had disabled in the BIOS settings also remained
up and running.  This meant that the Bluetooth couldn't effectively be
disabled at BIOS settings.

Different from everyone else's results.  These are just the things I
noticed.  I have verified this to be related to kernels 4.15 - 4.17.1
(using UKUU), which is why I am replying here.

Below are my "inxi -Fxy" results:

~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: travel Kernel: 4.14.50-041450-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc:
7.3.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Latitude E6420 v: 01
           Mobo: Dell model: 0X8R3Y Bios: Dell v: A24 date: 05/12/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-2640M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11173
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 798 MHz 2: 967 MHz 3: 931 MHz
           4: 806 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio
Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.14.50-041450-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 128.0GB (53.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 128.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 115G used: 62G (57%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.56GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 36 min Memory: 1175.6/7852.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

  Suspend fails in Ubuntu and Kubuntu 18.04 but works fine in Ubuntu and
  Kubuntu 17.10 (and on Kubuntu 18.04 using kernel 4.14.47)

  I have installed Kubuntu 18.04 on 3 different machines (my friend's
  and my own) with no suspend problems but my HP Pavilion 11 x360 does
  not suspend.

  It suspends fine with Ubuntu 17.10, Kubuntu 17.10, Devuan Jesse,
  Devuan ASCII and Windows 10 but fails with Ubuntu 18.04 and Kubuntu
  18.04.

  I have also tried suspend using a live USB of 18.04 on this machine
  and it fails in the same way, so does not appear to be caused by any
  additional programs that I had installed.

  By installing an older kernel (4.14) on Kubuntu 18.04 the suspend
  function works as expected.

  Running Kubuntu 18.04 with kernels 4.15, 4.16, 4.17 results in the
  suspend failure that freezes the machine and requires a hard reset.

  Correct behaviour is -

  Screen goes blank, fan goes off, power LED flashes to show machine is
  in suspend. Pressing power button triggers 'resume' function.

  What happens -

  Screen goes blank, fan stays on, power LED stays on. Machine stays in
  this state and does not respond to any keyboard interaction, mouse
  movement or power button presses.

  Ctrl + Alt + f1 (or f2, f3, f4 etc) does not get any response.

  The only way to use the machine is to shut down by holding down the
  power button.

  Checking the logs suggests that the machine believes it is in suspend mode
sleep [deep] when it isn't.

  Having to hard reset to get any response means that the kernel logs
  say no more than sleep [deep]

  pm-suspend also results in the same problems with kernels 4.15 and
  4.16, but works fine with 4.14.

  It is curious that a machine that suspends fine on an earlier 4.14
  kernel no longer works with 4.15 and above, whilst 3 other machines
  (including one with pretty similar hardware) do not exhibit this
  problem.

  There are only a handful of questions about it on the forums but at
  least 3 other people have the same problem:

  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029405/ubuntu-18-04-crashes-on-
  resuming-from-suspend

  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1041369/after-upgrading-
  from-17-10-ubuntu-18-04-wont-sleep-suspend

  I am attempting to round up anyone else with the same issue and point
  them to this bug report.

  My laptop is HP Pavilion x360 11-n013na
  Matalaks is Acer Aspire ES1-511
  collisionTwo has XPS 9560