I tested the upstream v4.18-rc2 kernel, and found the problem has been
fixed.

Bisecting revealed
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5a8361f7ecceaed64b4064000d16cb703462be49
fixed the issue, which is included in v4.16.0.

Given that the most recent Ubuntu kernel seems to be v4.15.y, when can I
expect that commit to be included in an Ubuntu kernel release? Would the
soonest likely be when 18.10 is released?

  Sluggish performance as Xen dom0

Status in linux-signed-hwe-edge package in Ubuntu:

  1) The release of Ubuntu you are using, via 'lsb_release -rd' or
  System -> About Ubuntu

  16.04 LTS

  2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy
  pkgname' or by checking in Software Center

  Tried booting various versions between the 4.13.0-lowlatency and
4.15.0-lowlatency versions.
  Can confirm the problem appears on all 4.15.0 versions (e.g., 4.15.0-13), but
is not present on any 4.13.0 version (e.g., 4.13.0-45).

  The version of Xen used is 4.9.0-0ubuntu3. I believe this isn't in
  Xenial's repositories, but actually from a later Ubuntu release, since
  I wanted some features of Xen that weren't in Xenial's version.

  Bisecting the commits narrowed down to the issue appearing after
  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-xenial.git/commit/?h=hwe-
  edge&id=a62a7117d91ca83d319566cbe16039f4e9f413c2 was committed.

  In fact, after recompiling and running the latest hwe-edge kernel
  (4.15.0-23) with that commit reverted, the problem disappears. This
  kernel is attached.

  I also intend to test the mainline kernel, but I haven't gotten around
  to it yet

  3/4) What you expected to happen/What happened instead
  The newer kernel to not be significantly slower than the older kernel (I'm
aware of Meltdown/Spectre mitigations causing slowdowns, but it should not be
*this* much slower).

  Specifically, after upgrading to a 4.15.0 kernel from 4.13.0, I noticed these
behaviours:
  - Time to log in via lightdm seems to have doubled in time or more (I did not
actually time it, but it is taking significantly longer)
  - Scrolling in the Processes tab of system-monitor is noticeably choppy and
laggy
  - The "user experience" in general seems to be laggy
  - Running a game in a Windows domU (with passthrough GPU) resulted in ~25% of
the original FPS

  Interestingly, if I boot on bare metal (i.e., without Xen), the
  problem does not manifest.

  Package: linux-image-4.15.0-22-lowlatency 4.15.0-22.24~16.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-23.25~16.04.1-lowlatency 4.15.18
  Uname: Linux 4.15.0-23-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME-Flashback:Unity