Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better.

As diagnostic procedures, I can suggest:

You could try rebooting, hitting the key to get the grub menu (Shift,
see https://askubuntu.com/questions/16042/how-to-get-to-the-grub-menu-
at-boot-time) and choosing the previous kernel, to see if that fixes the
issue you're seeing. If so, it might well be related to the kernel
upgrade.

Then, /var/log/apt/history.log will tell you exactly what (and when) was
upgraded.

That said, The problem as you reported is not related to the Canonical
SSO provider or service. I'll move it to the "Linux" package, since per
your description it seems to correlate with a kernel upgrade. Note that
you will be required to provide more debugging information as per the
kernel debugging procedures.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/Symptom

** Project changed: canonical-identity-provider => linux (Ubuntu)

  Network namespaces support for non-IP suddenly missing

  I run 16.04, and I keep daily track of all dist-upgrades. Yesterday (3
  july 2018) there was an upgrade, and it must have been a kernel
  upgrade, because my machine had rebooted (which I make it do
  automatically if needed).

  From today, the system tests on my project have stopped working (C
  development). These system tests do the following: using the 'ip'
  command, they set up several network namespaces, in which I run
  several executables concurrently, that exchange network messages with
  each other. The namespaces that use IP have kept on working, while the
  ones that don't (I'm implementing an ethernet network packet structure
  of my own) have stopped working. I've done the same tests on my
  laptop, which is also a 16.04, on which I haven't done the upgrade
  (and I'm very hesitant to do so now, because this is my bread and
  butter), and there they work still.