Did a kernel update or the upgrade to a newer Ubuntu release resolve
this problem?

** Package changed: xubuntu-meta (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Boot fails waiting for /dev/disk/by-uuid

  The system is stuck waiting 90 seconds for the /dev/disk/by-uuid/*
  devices to show up.

  When dropping me to a shell, they do exist.

  Forcing the system to fsck (by removing power) makes no difference.

  After rebooting 1-5 times it suddenly completes booting. So it seems
  it might be a race condition.

  = Workaround =

  If I boot once in recovery mode, then the next boot will mostly
  complete just fine. OK as a workaround, but a horrible solution.

  I can even just run `systemctl reboot` from recovery mode - no need to
  boot fully. Running `reboot`, however, does not work.

  Attached:
  working$ cat ls-dev-disk-by-uuid
  working$ cat journalctl-xb
  failing$ cat ls-dev-disk-by-uuid