------- Comment From mranw...@us.ibm.com 2018-09-26 13:11 EDT-------
I had to rebuild the utilities in scripts since those were the problem, they
were x86 binaries.

The problem is fixed with this kernel:
user@deb3qwsp1:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.15.0-34-generic (jsalisbury@kathleen) (gcc version 7.3.0
(Ubuntu 7.3.0-16ubuntu3)) #38~lp1792102 SMP Wed Sep 12 19:55:58 UTC 2018
user@deb3qwsp1:~$ nvidia-smi |grep -A3 Memory
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Tesla V100-SXM2...  On   | 00000004:04:00.0 Off |                    0 |
| N/A   31C    P0    34W / 300W |      0MiB / 16128MiB |      0%      Default |

  Ubuntu18.04: GPU total memory is reduced

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  In Progress
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  == Comment: #0 - Michael Ranweiler <mranw...@us.ibm.com> - 2018-09-10
  19:26:14 ==

  Due to a recent change for powernv, now the total GPU memory is no
  longer available. This impacts performance for any
  application/benchmark has a large GPU memory utilization.

  Previous amount of memory : 16128MiB
  Current amount of available memory : 15360MiB

  From Anton, describing the recent change.:
     powerpc/powernv: Increase memory block size to 1GB on radix

    Memory hot unplug on PowerNV radix hosts is broken. Our memory block
    size is 256MB but since we map the linear region with very large
    pages, each pte we tear down maps 1GB.

    A hot unplug of one 256MB memory block results in 768MB of memory
    getting unintentionally unmapped. At this point we are likely to oops.

    Fix this by increasing our memory block size to 1GB on PowerNV radix
    hosts.

    Fixes: 4b5d62ca17a1 ("powerpc/mm: add radix__remove_section_mapping()")

  This is fixed with:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7acf50e4efa6