installed lubuntu 18.04.1 on dell 755 without updates, format of /, but
used my old /home (from fedora). rebooted post install, pointed sources
to my ISP's ubuntu mirror (bandwidth free updates) & dist-upgrade. I
added xubuntu-desktop & some of the apps missing from my modified xfce
desktop.

added canonical kernel ppa; changed [ppa] source to point to cosmic;
update & install kernel. reboot & login (normally!)

guiverc@755-lubu:~$ screenfetch -n
 guiverc@755-lubu
 OS: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
 Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.18.0-8-generic
 Uptime: 10m
 Packages: 1678
 Shell: bash 4.4.19
 Resolution: 1680x1050
 DE: XFCE
 WM: Xfwm4
 WM Theme: Agualemon
 GTK Theme: Mist [GTK2]
 Icon Theme: gnome
 Font: Sans 10
 CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ 2x 2.71GHz
 GPU: ATI RV515
 RAM: 477MiB / 4824MiB

  xubuntu 18.10 daily image (x86) fails to boot - initramfs

Status in linux source package in Cosmic:

  x86 daily image (32bit) XUBUNTU 18.10

  - booted & ran fine on dell latitude d610
  - booted & ran fine on ibm thinkpad t43

  fails on

  - hp dc7700 small form factor desktop
  - dell 755 desktop
  - lenovo thinkpad x201

  I don't get the "try xubuntu / install xubuntu" screen, instead it
  eventually drops to

  ----
  "BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu4) built-in shell (ash)
  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

  (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
  ----

  Note: I typed the messages in so typos may exist

  I suspect it's the same issue as
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1794922

  where Walter (wxl) gave a possible link to

  http://debian.2.n7.nabble.com/Bug-908924-dma-direct-map-sg-overflow-
  on-USB-access-after-upgrade-to-kernel-4-18-td4387757.html

  I've been testing xubuntu 18.10 daily images for awhile (but not
  logging on qa-tracker - my bad, sorry!!!) without issue on t43 & d610,
  and only rarely booting on other boxes (like 755/dc7700/..)

  It may have been ~15-20 days since last tested on dell 755; but it
  worked fine back then (& prior) but due to my QA-tracking omission, we
  can't be exact - sorry again!