It appears the main error here is:

  (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to acquire modesetting permission.

which may related to bug 1795637, but probably not. It sounds like a
similar problem but in this case the bug would be in gdm3 instead of
plymouth.

As a workaround you might want to try disabling KMS and let the Nvidia
driver operate natively. To do this,

  1. Edit /etc/default/grub and add "nomodeset":
     GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

  2. sudo update-grub

  3. Reboot

That does roughly the same thing as the recovery mode workaround.

** Package changed: gnome-shell (Ubuntu) => xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia] After login the screen goes black

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  When I boot Cosmic, grub is working OK and login screen is presented OK, but
after login the screen goes black.
  When I boot in Recovery Mode" and "Resume" all is working OK and Nvidia
driver 390 is used.
  These bugs my be related
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm3/+bug/1770238
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1748656
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1543192

  See attachment for syslog info.

  Package: gdm3 3.30.1-1ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu11
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME