Ascaris, I did no action to solve the problem. I received my new Dell laptop,
was busy setting up my ubuntu 18.04. Started to work found my laptop Hard drive
was always busy and sluggish. After few days I found the problem, the syslog
was huge with thousands of the above messages. I decided to start the steps the
next day to try to solve the problem, but the next day there were no messages
anymore.
So the only explanation was at that stage that an update fixed it.
Not sure if I can do anything on my pc to help you with your tests on the
problem.

  i2c_hid_get_input floods system logs

  Ubuntu 4.15.0-29.31-generic 4.15.18

  After upgrading to kernel version 4.15.0-29 from 4.15.0-23, the system
  logs are flooded whenever I move the cursor with my touchpad.

  It looks like this:
  i2c_hid i2c-ELAN1010:00: i2c_hid_get_input: incomplete report (14/65535)
  i2c_hid i2c-ELAN1010:00: i2c_hid_get_input: incomplete report (14/65535)
  i2c_hid i2c-ELAN1010:00: i2c_hid_get_input: incomplete report (14/65535)
  i2c_hid i2c-ELAN1010:00: i2c_hid_get_input: incomplete report (14/65535)
  etc...

  This problem did not occur on the previous kernel version so there
  must have been a change to the "drivers/hid/i2c-hid/i2c-hid.c" file.
  This seems to be fixed in a recent commit here:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/ef6eaf27274c0351f7059163918f3795da13199c

  I am currently running the older kernel version but would still like
  to be up to date without this flooding happening.