I have been able to successfully create a USB drive that boots Ubuntu 18 ISO images. The web site that I used for information is https://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2012-12/22-the_ultimate_usb_stick_setup .
I had to make a few changes to grub.cfg. I will attach a zip file containing the contents of the usb drive with empty files in stead of complete iso files. I have not tested the drive with various hardware configurations or BIOS settings, but it should have enough information to be able to build an application to easily create a tool to build the USB drive. The partition is FAT32 and contains an (msftdata) flag - which might be left over from using Rufus on Windows (partion name is "Microsoft Basic Data"). However, I think performing a grub install should work as well. ** Attachment added: "Contents required on USB drive that allows booting ISO images" https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1798251/+attachment/5202059/+files/usb-boot-iso.zip -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1798251 Title: Cannot boot from USB pen drive Status in linux package in Ubuntu: Incomplete Bug description: I have not been able to successfully create a bootable USB flash drive for about two years using modern desktop versions of Ubuntu. This weekend I tried again by booting from an Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 amd64 workstation and using ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso. The qemu test run seemed to boot, but after a while the boot splash screen just remained open. The PC I intended to do a clean install on simply dropped down to BusyBox. I tried various BIOS settings such as booting from UEFI, booting from legacy etc with no success. In the past I got different results on different workstations, but never got a USB stick booting (I forgot which version of Ubuntu this started becoming an issue, because I have created USB boot disks for older versions of Ubuntu many times). I have tried UNetbootin, MultiWriter, usb-creator- gtk and even tried Rufus on a Windows VM on KVM. None of the options worked (actually, UNetbootin did not even start up correctly). Up to now the workstations I built up had DVD drives, so I simply made a bootable CD - which has never let me down. However this last workstation did not have a DVD drive so in the end I booted Ubuntu 16.04 which it had installed on a different drive and used grml- rescueboot to boot the ISO and perform the installation. If you google "Ubuntu does not boot from usb" you will find that it seems there this is an existing issue for many people. I would seriously consider having a standard USB image with grml preinstalled and allowing users to put whichever ISO they want to boot in a specific folder on the USB drive. There are a number of web sites explaining how to create a USB drive which is bootable in both UEFI and Legacy modes, and since Windows 10 ships on a single USB pen drive it should be totally possible to have a solution for Linux as well. To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1798251/+subscriptions -- Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

