Obviously contacting my vendor went nowhere.

While doing more testing, I get the same result of audio only through
one speaker in Windows 10 with the default audio drivers that Windows
ships with.  The Realtek/Dolby audio drivers from the vendor (Huawei)
need to be installed in order to get sound out of both speakers in
Windows, too.

I've been playing with VFIO to be able to boot Linux and hand off the
PCI audio device to Windows 10 inside of qemu with the proper Realtek
Windows drivers installed.  This allows me to log all of the PCI IO
activity from qemu.

While doing this, I noticed that if I boot Windows 10 in qemu, then boot
Linux in qemu, audio works in Linux through both speakers with no other
changes.  This only works through qemu/VFIO, as rebooting the full
system resets the PCI device.

So something must be getting initialized or toggled on the device in
Windows that affects the device through to initialization in Linux.  One
of the pins that the device presents is configured slightly different in
Linux after booting Windows first (nid 0x19 0x411111f0 -> 0x811111f0),
and I've tried explicitly setting that pin configuration in Linux
without booting Windows first but it has no effect.

I have qemu logging all of the VFIO PCI reads and writes under Windows,
and I instrumented some custom code to store the RIRBLBASE and CORBLBASE
values and then print out the contents of those DMA addresses (+ current
queue offset) whenever CORBWP/RIRBWP are written to, in order to be able
to see the commands submitted to the CORB and the response from the RIRB
when running Windows.

Is there anything else similar to the CORB/RIRB that I should be logging
to try to see what else the Windows driver could be doing?

VFIO limits the emulated Windows instance to see only the PCI audio
device, so there is no ACPI configuration or other IO that it could be
doing other than PCI config read/write, PCI region read/write, and DMA
with the audio device.  But still, there must be something the

  No sound from right audio channel

Status in Linux:

  No audio comes out of the right speaker on the laptop.  When playing a
  test video such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTvJoYnpeRQ the
  right-channel audio is never heard (i.e., it does not get converted
  into mono and played through the left speaker).

  When plugging in headphones, audio is heard from both channels.

  In Windows, both speakers work, so it is not a physical problem with
  the speakers.

  Package: linux-image-4.13.0-12-generic 4.13.0-12.13 [modified:
boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-12-generic]
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  user       1127 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME