I added debug into the kernel and observed /dev/vdb is being mounted by
systemd:

[    9.859895] mount: 1624 mount, parent 1 systemd
[    9.866398] mount: 1624 mount /dev/vdb

and also snap-confine is mounting mount too:

[    9.966827] mount: 1663 snap-confine /mnt

Curiously, I've not seen any associated umounts.

I wonder if the namespace/confinement is causing the issue of not being
able to see the mount. I need to debug this further.

  zpool create -f lxd /dev/vdb fails on cosmic (18.10) -- func27

Status in OpenStack LXD Charm:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Test: tests/gate-basic-cosmic-rocky

  As part of the config, the lxd charm creates a pool device depending
  on the config.  The test config is:

          lxd_config = {
              'block-devices': '/dev/vdb',
              'ephemeral-unmount': '/mnt',
              'storage-type': 'zfs',
              'overwrite': True
          }

  The config drive is normally mounted on /mnt, and the lxd charm
  umounts it as part of the start up.  The /etc/fstab on the unit is:

  # cat /etc/fstab
  LABEL=cloudimg-rootfs   /        ext4   defaults        0 0
  LABEL=UEFI      /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0 0
  /dev/vdb        /mnt    auto
defaults,nofail,x-systemd.requires=cloud-init.service,comment=cloudconfig
0       2
  /dev/vdc        none    swap    sw,comment=cloudconfig  0       0

  However, even after umount-ing the /mnt off of /dev/vdb, the zpool create
command still fails:

  # zpool create -f lxd /dev/vdb
  /dev/vdb is in use and contains a unknown filesystem.

  If the /etc/fstab is edited so that /dev/vdb is *never* mounted and then
rebooted, then the zpool create command succeeds:

  # zpool list
  NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
  lxd   14.9G   106K  14.9G         -     0%     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

  # zpool status lxd
    pool: lxd
   state: ONLINE
    scan: none requested
  config:

          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
          lxd         ONLINE       0     0     0
            vdb       ONLINE       0     0     0

  errors: No known data errors

  Something odd is going on with cosmic (18.10) and the combination of
  lxd, zfs and the kernel

  lxd version: 3.6
  zfsutils-linux/cosmic,now 0.7.9-3ubuntu6
  Linux: 4.18.0-10-generic