The problem is gone for me after upgrading to 18.10.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  X session not starting with nvidia-390 with regular users

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to ubuntu 18.04, my nvidia driver was updated to
  version nvidia-390 and now I'm unable to login from lightdm with
  regular users. I tried other display managers, but I have the same
  issue.

  Finally, I found out that if I login as root, the session is properly
  started