The issue now appears resolved with hwe-18.04/4.18.0-13, /sys/bus/iio is
now present and the functionality has been restored.

(including 4.15.0-43) but is present on xenial 4.4 and cosmic 4.18 (at least as
of 4.18.0-13). Here is to hoping there is not a similar kerfuffle with RNGs and
stuff :P

  At some point in the 18.04 cycle, /sys/bus/iio has disappeared from my
  system

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Yoga 900-13ISK and a Thinkpad T470s. Both have had working
  screen rotation in the past. However, I noticed today while supporting
  a user in #ubuntu, neither do now. No icon in the Gnome menu and:

  # G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all iio-sensor-proxy
  ** (process:14877): DEBUG: 12:31:21.603: Could not find any supported sensors

  Indeed, /sys/bus/iio does not exist! I believe this is distinct from
  LP: #1792813, as I have just tested mainline 4.19 and it also does not
  work.

  I am working on getting more data, including testing older kernels
  from 18.04, but it might take me some time.