Interesting, thanks Leonardo!
Tested on Bionic (4.15) and Disco (4.18).
Default:
sudo modprobe kvm_pr
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_pr': Input/output error
Added "disable_radix" to the guest kernel commandline and retried loading the
module again.
Bionic: Malformed early option 'disable_radix'
Disco: accepts the option
With that option set kvm_pr can be loaded.
Thanks now all fits together, and that is "enough" for me.
If there are kernel fixes that you'd want in Bionic to get disable_radix
to work we can add a kernel task (I don't need it).
TL;DR: for Disco forward I should be able to enable P9 based nested
tests with that tweak in place.
** Also affects: qemu (Ubuntu Bionic)
Importance: Undecided
Status: New
** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)
Importance: Undecided
Status: New
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Fix Released
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)
Status: New => Confirmed
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)
Importance: Undecided => Wishlist
** Changed in: qemu (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Invalid
** Changed in: qemu (Ubuntu Bionic)
Status: New => Invalid
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1778854
Title:
kvm_pr on power9 not loadable
Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
Triaged
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Fix Released
Status in qemu package in Ubuntu:
Invalid
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
Confirmed
Status in qemu source package in Bionic:
Invalid
Bug description:
Hi,
this might be the worst bug report ever, but there just isn't a lot more info
available when the issue occurs.
I tried to set up 2nd level KVM on a P9 machine with kvm_pr but I run into
(this is the series on commands I used on P8 btw):
$ sudo modprobe kvm_pr
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_pr': Input/output error
Unfortunately there is no dmesg message (not even with level set to
debug) or anything like it, so I'm stuck asking if P9 does not work
with kvm_pr at all or if there are other constraints one should know?
Note: while no more a problem for kvm_hv on P9 I disabled SMT but the
issue persists.
Modinfo LGTM and matches the kernel:
ubuntu@bionic-kvm:~$ modinfo kvm_pr
filename:
/lib/modules/4.15.0-23-generic/kernel/arch/powerpc/kvm/kvm-pr.ko
alias: devname:kvm
alias: char-major-10-232
license: GPL
srcversion: CE18B50FD03CB9D9C432700
depends: kvm
intree: Y
name: kvm_pr
vermagic: 4.15.0-23-generic SMP mod_unload mprofile-kernel
signat: PKCS#7
signer:
sig_key:
sig_hashalgo: md4
ubuntu@bionic-kvm:~$ uname -a
Linux bionic-kvm 4.15.0-23-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 23 17:59:00 UTC
2018 ppc64le ppc64le ppc64le GNU/Linux
It feels more that I'm missing something than a bug, but in that case
I have to ask what it is.
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-power-systems/+bug/1778854/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp