------- Comment From lagar...@br.ibm.com 2019-02-06 06:59 EDT-------
Just an additional information: starting with linux 4.20 and QEMU 3.1 one can
created nested guests on RPT guests as well using kvm_hv (kvm_pr will not work
with RPT).

** Tags removed: targetmilestone-inin---
** Tags added: targetmilestone-inin1804

  kvm_pr on power9 not loadable

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  Triaged
Status in qemu package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Confirmed
Status in qemu source package in Bionic:

  Hi,
  this might be the worst bug report ever, but there just isn't a lot more info
available when the issue occurs.

  I tried to set up 2nd level KVM on a P9 machine with kvm_pr but I run into
(this is the series on commands I used on P8 btw):
    $ sudo modprobe kvm_pr
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_pr': Input/output error

  Unfortunately there is no dmesg message (not even with level set to
  debug) or anything like it, so I'm stuck asking if P9 does not work
  with kvm_pr at all or if there are other constraints one should know?

  Note: while no more a problem for kvm_hv on P9 I disabled SMT but the
  issue persists.

  Modinfo LGTM and matches the kernel:
  ubuntu@bionic-kvm:~$ modinfo kvm_pr
  filename:
/lib/modules/4.15.0-23-generic/kernel/arch/powerpc/kvm/kvm-pr.ko
  alias:          devname:kvm
  alias:          char-major-10-232
  license:        GPL
  srcversion:     CE18B50FD03CB9D9C432700
  depends:        kvm
  intree:         Y
  name:           kvm_pr
  vermagic:       4.15.0-23-generic SMP mod_unload mprofile-kernel
  signat:         PKCS#7
  signer:
  sig_key:
  sig_hashalgo:   md4
  ubuntu@bionic-kvm:~$ uname -a
  Linux bionic-kvm 4.15.0-23-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 23 17:59:00 UTC
2018 ppc64le ppc64le ppc64le GNU/Linux

  It feels more that I'm missing something than a bug, but in that case
  I have to ask what it is.