Public bug reported:

I am using Ubuntu 16.04.

After upgrading the kernel from 4.4.0-141.167-generic to
4.4.0-142.168-generic I am experiencing problem logging in via the tty.
I am able to provide my username, but the terminal automatically submit
password before I am able to type it. If I start the computer with the
previous kernel (4.4.0-141.167) it works as expected.

I have done strace on the tty in both scenarios while performing the login with
the following command:

"sudo strace -p 1572 -s 1024 -vff -o tty-login-issue/login"

4.4.0-141.167-generic (works):
https://gist.github.com/ivarconr/b022d2b4cadfc654031e8a930bf4408b

4.4.0-142.168-generic (fails):
https://gist.github.com/ivarconr/603409ad1f0a3343a7f44a854283befc

Let me know if you need me to provide any additional details.

  Unable to login via tty