This bug is fixed by the following upstream commit:
d3736d82e816 (“tty: Don't hold ldisc lock in tty_reopen() if ldisc present”)

That commit is in mainline as of v5.0-rc2 and has been cc'd to upstream
stable.  The commit has already been applied to linux-azure master-next.

** Changed in: linux-azure (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-azure in Ubuntu.

  [Hyper-V] VM console orphan newline input during login

Status in linux-azure package in Ubuntu:

  In Bionic azure-edge proposed kernel 4.18.0-1008 we're observing an issue
that got carried from upstream.
  This is the first version we checked specifically for this issue, we don't
have yet a good/bad proposed comparison set of versions.

  linux-next-5.0.0-9673b4a-20012019 does not have this issue <- daily upstream
linux-next
  linux-next-4.20.0-6a1d293-27122018 has the issue <- all 4.1x/4.2x series from
upstream have this problem.

  This behavior can be seen only on Hyper-V, as it must use the VM console UI:
  - boot the above kernels.
  - try to login with username and password.
  - After you input the username and press Enter in the Hyper-V console,
another Enter (newline) is automatically received by the console, making it
impossible to input the password.

  Afterward, the console behaves like a series of newlines are received
  and it resets after a while, presenting again the linux user login.

  Repro rates:
  - 100% on WS2019
  - on WS2016 depending on situation it might not be visible 100%.

  Problem does not exist for Azure, it's specific to Hyper-V VM console
  only.