Juerg Haefliger, this bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been
any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an
issue? If so, could you please test for this with the latest development
release of Ubuntu? ISO images are available from
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ .

If it remains an issue, could you please run the following command in
the development release from a Terminal
(Applications->Accessories->Terminal), as it will automatically gather
and attach updated debug information to this report:

apport-collect -p linux <replace-with-bug-number>

Also, could you please test the latest upstream kernel available (not the daily
folder) following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds ? It will allow
additional upstream developers to examine the issue. Once you've tested the
upstream kernel, please comment on which kernel version specifically you
tested. If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
tags:
kernel-fixed-upstream
kernel-fixed-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

where VERSION-NUMBER is the version number of the kernel you tested. For
example:
kernel-fixed-upstream-v3.13-rc3

This can be done by clicking on the yellow circle with a black pencil icon next
to the word Tags located at the bottom of the bug description. As well, please
remove the tag:
needs-upstream-testing

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the following tags:
kernel-bug-exists-upstream
kernel-bug-exists-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

As well, please remove the tag:
needs-upstream-testing

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug's
Status as Confirmed. Please let us know your results. Thank you for your
understanding.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  kvm brings Oneiric host to a grinding halt

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “qemu-kvm” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running a Windows7 guest in KVM via libvirt/virt-manager on a
  Oneiric desktop 64-bit. Every once in a while (2-3 times a week,
  sometimes daily) the CPU usage goes berserk and the host becomes very
  unresponsive and unusable. This also happened once with a Breezy guest
  so it's not strictly a Windows issue. I'm just seeing it more often
  with Windows because that's what I run daily.

  More information attached, let me know what other info I should collect, the
next time the machine is in that state.
  ---
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  KvmCmdLine:
   UID        PID  PPID  C    SZ   RSS PSR STIME TTY          TIME CMD
   116       2892     1 13 327807 1062024 0 07:34 ?       00:49:31 /usr/bin/kvm
-S -M pc-0.14 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name
Windows7 -uuid 63a736b8-2d14-4354-8974-83c3f0d71ea1 -nodefconfig -nodefaults
-chardev
socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/Windows7.monitor,server,nowait
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=readline -rtc base=localtime -boot c
-drive
file=/home/juergh/VirtualMachines/Windows7.img,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,boot=on,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native
 -device
virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0
-netdev tap,fd=19,id=hostnet0 -device
virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:56:6f:49,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0
-usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -vga std -device
virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5
  MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP EliteBook 8530w
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: qemu-kvm 0.14.1+noroms-0ubuntu6.2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  PccardctlIdent:
   Socket 0:
     product info: "RICOH", "Bay8Controller", "", ""
     manfid: 0x0000, 0x0000
     function: 254 (unknown)
  PccardctlStatus:
   Socket 0:
     3.3V 16-bit PC Card
     Subdevice 0 (function 0) bound to driver "pata_pcmcia"
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-17-generic
root=UUID=076a3371-4882-4e13-a456-9855c6fb4caf ro
  Tags:  oneiric running-unity
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout libvirtd lpadmin mock plugdev sambashare
  dmi.bios.date: 12/08/2009
  dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.bios.version: 68PDV Ver. F.11
  dmi.board.name: 30E7
  dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.board.version: KBC Version 90.26
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvr68PDVVer.F.11:bd12/08/2009:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPEliteBook8530w:pvrF.11:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn30E7:rvrKBCVersion90.26:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: HP EliteBook 8530w
  dmi.product.version: F.11
  dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard