This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1833474

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: disco

  Radom & frequent total crashes since upgrade to 19.04

  Hi,

  I'm using an ASUS X751L laptop for several years with no (=a few
  manageable) problem(s).

  Two weeks ago, I switched to Xunbuntu 19.04, by:
  - changing the lines in the /etc/sources.list
  - running apt-get dist-upgrade

  Since then, the computer randomly totally freezes ~twice a day. Even
  after another dist-upgrade this morning...

  When I say "totally freezes", I mean:
  - Mouse is froozen, if there was sound playing (be it movie or music, played
either with mplayer or vlc), then the last 1/2 second loops indefinitely
  - CTRL-ALT-Fn do not work
  - There's nothing in the logs: kern.log, syslog, dmesg... appart some garbage
chars (like ^@^@^@...) that sometimes gets appended in syslog at crash time.
  - Even when activated Magic SysReq (ALT-SysReq-RSEIUB) do not work
  - Alt-SysReq 1 + Alt-SysReq t do not create anything in /var/crash (there are
some files for qemu & xfce4-panel, that I already reported)
  - Following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/CrashdumpRecipe , I installed
linux-crashdump, and verified it correctly sets the boot line option, but
nothing gets created in /var/crash when computer crashes (apart a kexec_cmd
file that simply lists the boot line args).
  - Quick (2/3 sec) press on the power button does nothing
  - Long (10 sec) press on the power button is the only way to regain control...
  - I've tried to run Memtest86+ (even if I'm sure RAM is not the problem as it
started occurring only after dist-upgrade to 19.04), but the system is UEFI, so
option is not in the grub menu. I'll try to make a USB stick to test the RAM

  FYI, the internal wifi card (rtl8723) has always caused troubles: HD
  write slowdowns, audio device locks, etc (from what I guess, it
  overfills some internal bus...). So I deactivate it at boot by
  removing the module, and I use another external Wifi dongle
  (rt2800usb)

  $ uname -a
  Linux gmuller-X751LAB 5.0.0-16-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15 10:52:21 UTC
2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  # Note: crashes occurred also with 5.0.0-15

  Does anyone has any hints/tips on how I could get more info & target
  where the problem comes from? because as-is the computer is just
  unusable...

  In the attached log files, the crash occurred right before my manual
  reboot at 15:17:24