** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Also affects: zfs-linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

  zfs 0.7.9 fixes a bug (https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/7343)
  that hangs the system completely

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in zfs-linux source package in Bionic:

  SRU Bionic

  == SRU Justification ==

  Intensive I/O such as performed by ZFS send/receive can cause hangs because
of monopolization of the global system_taskq. The outcome is that z_zvol hung
  tasks occur and I/O gets blocked.

  == Fix ==

  Upstream ZFS commit 77d8a0f1a4d0b2f59cee63088f7987cb38e66538 ("Fix
  hung z_zvol tasks during 'zfs receive'") fixes this issue, it adds a
  dedicated per-pool prefetch taskq that prevents the traverse code from
  monopolizing the global (and limited) system_taskq by inappropriately
  scheduling long running tasks on it. This fixes the z_zvol hung tasks.
  A trivial backport is required for Bionic ZFS.

  == Testcase ==

  Perform large send/receives. Occasionally they lock up. With the fix,
  this issue is addressed and no more lockups occur.  Also must pass the
  full ZFS ubuntu autotest tests to prove no regressions occur.

  == Regression Potential ==

  This fix adds more per-pool prefetch taskq's so we have more kernel
  resources being used. There is therefore a very small risk that this
  may impact ZFS running on memory and CPU constrained systems.
  However, the fix is small, has been upstream for a while and is in
  Cosmic+ releases and has not caused any regressions, so I think this
  is a relatively safe fix.

  ------

  I have experienced the problems fixed by this commit
  https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/7343 a few times on my NAS. The
  system hangs completely when it occurs. It looks like 0.7.9 brings
  other interesting bug fixes that potentially freeze the system.