Public bug reported:
I just installed new Nvidia drivers in a meeting room and, as I have
Secure Boot enabled, was prompted for the password to enter on next
reboot. Surprisingly, the password I entered (twice) was in clear text
both times I entered it, which gives others around me an opportunity to
read what this password is.
This isn't an issue with DKMS/Secure Boot per se, except that people are
likely to use a password that they already use elsewhere (as it is
something you need to remember) and shoulder surfers could potentially
use that password to attack the user in other places.
ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 19.10
Package: dkms 2.7.1-1ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-20.21-generic 5.0.8
Uname: Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu3
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: i3
Date: Thu Jul 11 10:06:22 2019
InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-05-07 (64 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20190210)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: dkms
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-05-08 (63 days ago)
** Affects: dkms (Ubuntu)
Importance: Undecided
Status: New
** Tags: amd64 apport-bug eoan
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to dkms in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1836233
Title:
Passwords in Secure Boot MOK prompt aren't obscured
Status in dkms package in Ubuntu:
New
Bug description:
I just installed new Nvidia drivers in a meeting room and, as I have
Secure Boot enabled, was prompted for the password to enter on next
reboot. Surprisingly, the password I entered (twice) was in clear
text both times I entered it, which gives others around me an
opportunity to read what this password is.
This isn't an issue with DKMS/Secure Boot per se, except that people
are likely to use a password that they already use elsewhere (as it is
something you need to remember) and shoulder surfers could potentially
use that password to attack the user in other places.
ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 19.10
Package: dkms 2.7.1-1ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-20.21-generic 5.0.8
Uname: Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu3
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: i3
Date: Thu Jul 11 10:06:22 2019
InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-05-07 (64 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190210)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: dkms
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-05-08 (63 days ago)
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dkms/+bug/1836233/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp