I could next build a test kernel with some debug around the vfio iommu dma map
to check how time below that call is spent.
I'm sure that data already is hidden in some of my trace data, but to
eventually change/experiment I need to build one anyway.

I expect anyway to summarize and go into a discussion at some point, as
even if one would split the map calls iommus are full of quirks and
constraints that might bit us later.

  passthrough devices cause >17min boot delay

Status in qemu package in Ubuntu:

  Adding passthrough devices to a guest introduces a boot delay of > 17
  minutes. During this time libvirt reports the guest to be "paused".
  The delay does not seem to scale with the # of hostdevs - that is, 1
  hostdev causes about a 17min delay, while 16 only bumps that up to
  ~18min. Removing all hostdevs avoids the delay.