Tested on bionic proposed kernel by manually installing the dpkgs.

modprobe vim2m
modprobe vivid
modprobe vimc

kbingham@Q:$ uname -a
Linux Q 4.15.0-63-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 6 10:12:25 UTC 2019 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

kbingham@Q:$ lsv4l2
video0: HP Wide Vision FHD Camera: HP W
video1: HP Wide Vision FHD Camera: HP I
video2: Raw Capture 0
video3: Raw Capture 1
video4: RGB/YUV Capture
video5: vivid-000-vid-cap
video6: vivid-000-vid-out
video7: vim2m

** Tags removed: verification-needed-bionic
** Tags added: verification-done-bionic

  VIMC module not available (CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC not set)

Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Disco:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Eoan:

  == SRU Justification ==
  VIMC is a virtual media controller that can emulate a real media device.
  This is useful for automated tests, and development of multimedia frameworks.

  == Fix ==
  Enable VIMC as a module in B/D/E kernel configs.

  == Test ==
  Test kernels could be found here:
  https://people.canonical.com/~phlin/kernel/lp-1831482-cfg-vimc/

  User has reported that the Eoan kernel works as expected.
  I have also smoke tested the B/D kernel to make sure the VIMC modules
  can be loaded properly.

  == Regression Potential ==
  Low, this patchset enables the VIMC module support, we might see some
  bug reports against this module in the future. However the acutal impact
  for a non-vimc user should be minimum.

  There is a null pointer deference issue was found while inserting the
  vimc module on some system (lp:1840028), it will be handled in that bug.

  == Original Bug report ==
  The Multimedia VIMC module provides a test interface for the linux-media
media controller framework.

  This is useful for automated tests, and development of multimedia frameworks.
  Other components similar to this such as VIVID (CONFIG_VIDEO_VIVID=m) are
enabled, but VIMC is missing from the linux-modules packages:

  $ grep VIMC /boot/config-*
  /boot/config-4.15.0-32-generic:# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC is not set
  /boot/config-4.17.9-041709-generic:# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC is not set
  /boot/config-4.18.4-041804-generic:# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC is not set
  /boot/config-4.18.7-041807-generic:# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC is not set
  /boot/config-5.0.0-13-generic:# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC is not set
  /boot/config-5.0.0-15-generic:# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIMC is not set

  Could this be enabled in future releases as a module please?

  I'm running Ubuntu 19.04, with Ubuntu 5.0.0-13.14-generic 5.0.6,
  however I believe this issue affects all current Ubuntu kernel
  releases.