As the error message indicates, /vms and /hp-data are not empty. ZFS, by
default, will not mount over non-empty directories.

There are many ways to fix this, but here's something that is probably
the safest:

Boot up in rescue mode. If it is imported, export the hp-data pool with
`zpool export hp-data`. See what is mounted `cat /proc/mounts`. Unmount
anything ZFS other than the root filesystem. At that point, you should
be able to rmdir everything under /vms and /hp-data, as all they should
have are empty directories. Then, try remounting the rest of the
datasets in the vms pool with `zfs mount -a`. It should work this time.
If so, you should be able to re-run your apt command(s) to get apt &
dpkg into a happy state. Assuming that works, you can re-import the hp-
data pool with `zpool import hp-data`. Then, if you didn't get any
errors, reboot.

In any event, this is not a bug.

** Changed in: zfs-linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  19.10 ZFS Update failed on 2019-10-02

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  On all my systems the update from zfs-initrams_0.8.1-1ubuntu12_amd64.deb
failed the same is true for zfs-zed and zfsutils-linux.
  The system still runs on 0.8.1-1ubuntu11_amd64.
  The first error message was about a failing mount and at the end it announced
that all 3 modules were not updated.
  I have the error on Xubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu Mate 19.10 on my laptop i5-2520M
and in a VBox VM on a Ryzen 3 2200G with Ubuntu 19.10.