Question link > https://askubuntu.com/questions/1190609/eye-strain-and-
nausea-when-running-18-04-1-on-intel-i915-graphics
I have eye strain and headaches using Ubuntu which I believe is caused
by temporal dithering being enabled. I have posted on AskUbuntu and it
was suggested I update this bug report with some information.
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 12
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:26 memory:fb800000-fbbfffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff
ioport:dc00(size=8) memory:c0000-dffff
Linux paul-Aspire-X3950 5.0.0-36-generic #39~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov
12 11:09:50 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
I would like the option to turn dithering off. I believe this can be
performed using xrandr on Nvidia cards however no such solution is
available for Intel.
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1776642
Title:
Temporal dithering and impaired graphical performance started
appearing on Intel HD 530 graphics
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Fix Released
Bug description:
I am experiencing a regression in linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04 with
Intel HD Graphics 530 (Core i5-6600T), starting in 4.13.0-43
(considering only kernels which appear in my GRUB menu).
Some form of spatio-temporal dithering has been enabled. This is
causing a shimmering effect and visible dithering patterns (like woven
textile) which are noticeable on photographs and areas of similar
colour. 1px borders in the UI can appear to have a "marching ants"
effect.
The effect is visible under Xorg if the displayed colours are suitable
to trigger it.
The effect is also visible in a virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) if
suitable colours are displayed, but it seems that the presence of the
effect in virtual consoles predates its appearance under Xorg and the
reporting of this bug, going back at least as far as 4.13.0-31, but
with no reason to believe it does not go back further (besides lack of
testing).
Reverting from 4.13.0-43 by booting 4.13.0-41 eliminates the temporal
dithering in Xorg.
This occurs on a (presumed) 6bpp laptop LCD panel, so dithering is
necessary, but in previous kernels only a form of spatial dithering is
applied, which is less visually obvious.
Concurrent with the temporal dithering, I have also noticed general poor
graphical performance with the affected kernels. E.g. 50fps and 60fps video
playback is choppy, sometimes slow redraw and other graphical glitches on UI
elements. Like the temporal dithering, these additional problems disappear if I
revert to 4.13.0-41.
---
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.18
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0: patrick 1976 F.... pulseaudio
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=72e179a8-b27c-42d3-9523-8f1cceacaa64
InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-09-16 (634 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
MachineType: PC Specialist Limited N350DW
Package: linux (not installed)
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-45-generic
root=UUID=deeef076-c1e1-47ec-8ee4-d3b56fa179f9 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-45.50~16.04.1-generic 4.13.16
RelatedPackageVersions:
linux-restricted-modules-4.13.0-45-generic N/A
linux-backports-modules-4.13.0-45-generic N/A
linux-firmware 1.157.19
Tags: xenial xenial
Uname: Linux 4.13.0-45-generic x86_64
UnreportableReason: The report belongs to a package that is not installed.
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lp lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo vboxusers
_MarkForUpload: False
dmi.bios.date: 05/26/2016
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: 5.11
dmi.board.asset.tag: Tag 12345
dmi.board.name: N350DW
dmi.board.vendor: CLEVO
dmi.board.version: Not Applicable
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: No Enclosure
dmi.chassis.version: N/A
dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr5.11:bd05/26/2016:svnPCSpecialistLimited:pnN350DW:pvrNotApplicable:rvnCLEVO:rnN350DW:rvrNotApplicable:cvnNoEnclosure:ct10:cvrN/A:
dmi.product.family: Not Applicable
dmi.product.name: N350DW
dmi.product.version: Not Applicable
dmi.sys.vendor: PC Specialist Limited
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1776642/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp