Hi, Joe.

I believe we can solve that by simply installing rdma-core by default on
the azure images. I'm going to test that and coordinate with CPC, but do
you have any restrictions to this approach? That should not require any
changes to the current azure kernel.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-azure in Ubuntu.

  [linux-azure] Request to autoload mlx4/mlx5 modules for DPDK

Status in linux-azure package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 18.04 images in the marketplace do not automatically load the
  required mlx drivers. (mlx4_ib|mlx5_ib and mlx4_en|mlx5_en)

  Someone trying DPDK on Ubuntu 18.04 has raised an issue on Azure DPDK
  document(https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/44303).

  To reproduce, bring up an ubuntu 18.04 VM on Azure.  There you can see
  only mlx4_en but not the other one(mlx4_ib):

  # lsmod | grep mlx4
  mlx4_en               118784  0
  mlx4_core             294912  1 mlx4_en

  We would expect there to be 4 kernel modules loaded such as:
  mlx[4|5]_ib, rdma_cm, rdma_ucm, and ib_ipoib