This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:
apport-collect 1854225
and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.
If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.
This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Incomplete
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1854225
Title:
Kernel oops and system lock up when invoking wg-quick up
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Incomplete
Bug description:
On 2 occasions over the past week I have had full system crashes after
running "wg-quick up wg0". On the terminal, the command does not
complete (i.e. it does not return to the prompt), the fans on my
laptop start whirring and the system gradually becomes unresponsive
before my desktop crashes and the system becomes completely
unresponsive. On both occasions I opened another window to run "top"
to see what process was consuming resources but "top" never actually
runs. On the second occasion I managed to run "dmesg" before the
system crashed completely and saw multiple lines of text about a
kernel oops and red-highlighted text about a null-pointer dereference.
I could reboot with "Alt-PrtScr_REISUB". On reboot I was confronted
with the "system problem detected" dialog, but selecting the "report"
option didn't seem to do anything. I have 2 reports in /var/crash from
the last oops which I will attach to this report.
I cannot reproduce this on demand. Most of the time, wg-quick performs
normally. On both occasions the laptop had recently woken from
suspend, but invoking "wg-quick" after waking from suspend doesn't
trigger it on demand. On the first occasion I was running with stock
boot options. On the second, I was running with "mitigations=off" as
an experiment.
$ lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu 19.10
Release: 19.10
$ apt policy wireguard
wireguard:
Installed: 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1
Candidate: 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan/universe amd64 Packages
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan/universe i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt policy wireguard-tools
wireguard-tools:
Installed: 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1
Candidate: 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan/universe amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ uname -a
Linux padbeast 5.3.0-23-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 09:22:33 UTC 2019
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# cat /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
[Interface]
PrivateKey = MyPrivateKey=
Address = 10.66.66.5/24,fd42:42:42::5/64
DNS = 8.8.8.8,1.1.1.1
[Peer]
PublicKey = MyPublicKey=
Endpoint = my.domain.com:1195
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::/0
I'm reporting this as a security bug due to the "Null pointer
dereference" in the kernel, but don't know if that is relevant. I
don't know how to access or send the old dmesg information, so please
let me know how to access this or how to collect it if the crash
recurs.
ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 19.10
Package: wireguard 0.0.20190913-1ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.3.0-23.25-generic 5.3.7
Uname: Linux 5.3.0-23-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: MATE
Date: Wed Nov 27 20:44:24 2019
InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-10-11 (47 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Beta amd64 (20190926.2)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: wireguard
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1854225/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp