I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon with an external screen connected to a Mini DP to VGA
adapter. External screen works fine until the display goes to sleep for
inactivity (just the display goes to sleep, not the laptop).
When I return to the laptop, the built in screen wakes but the external screen
does not. The screen is still detected, xrandr displays the resolution and I
can move the cursor to the external display but the display remains off.
I have tried cycling with Fn+F7 and also tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 then Ctrl+Alt+F7.
The only way to get the external display back on is by disconnecting the
adapter from the laptops DP port and reconnecting.

dmesg produces:
drm:intel_dp_complete_link_train] *ERROR* failed to train DP, aborting

Running
Release:        13.04
kernel 3.8.0-23-generic
xserver-xorg-video-intel:
  Installed: 2:2.21.6-0ubuntu4

As a workaround I have disabled the monitor from sleeping in System
Settings->Brightness & Lock-> Turn Screen off when inactive for

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags: resume
--
[dp] External Screen doesn't wake up from sleep
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1189639