Roger Binns, thank you for your comments. The scope of this bug report
isn't the entire 3.12.x series kernel. It is only the issue noted in the
Bug Title "three monitors no longer work". So, staying focused on this
report, and it's scope, would you like a backport of the fix to this bug
report?

  saucy regression - three monitors no longer work

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  I've just upgraded from raring.  There I had 3 monitors attached to my
  Intel HD Graphics 4000 (i7 3770 cpu) where it all works perfectly.
  (Two monitors are identical flanking my centre displayport monitor.)

  In saucy I can get any two monitors working, and any attempt to get
  all 3 working results in an error about setting crtc with a different
  number.

  Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.904-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64