It would no longer make sense to attempt to provide log files since I
re-installed Ubuntu-Mate after not getting any response to my bug report
for more than five weeks.  The current kernel version that is running on
my system no longer exhibits the problem reported here.

As far as I am concerned, this bug can be closed.

  v19.10 update to kernel version 5.3.0-26-generic fails

Status in Ubuntu MATE:

  When I ran the Software updater on Jan 8, 2020, a security update from
  kernel version 5.3.0-24-generic to 5.3.0-26-generic was installed.
  When I rebooted the system, I was dumped to the boot-loaders busy-box
  prompt. I tried also under the Advanced options for Linux where normal
  and recovery mode versions of both v5.3.0-26-generic and
  v5.3.0-24-generic were available.  Both of the 5.3.0-26-generic
  options also sent me to the busy-box prompt.  However, when I tried
  the 5.3.0-24-generic option I was able to get the system started, and
  it seems to work normally.

  Some additional observations:

  While watching the messages when trying to get the 5.3.0-26 version
  going I noticed that it was not able to find the file system for my
  Ubuntu-Mate installation.

  I also noticed that the size of the initrd.img-5.3.0-26-generic is
  about 4 MBytes smaller than the initrd.img-5.3.0-24-generic.

  Since the Ubuntu-Mate file system is in a LVM partition, I am
  wondering if the initrd.img-5.3.0-26-generic lacks the capability to
  see the LVM partition.

  I have tried to figure out how to unpack the two initrd.img files to
  see what the differences are, but none of the information I have seen
  on the web about how to do this works on the Ubuntu versions of the
  file.

  My computer is a Dell XPS-13-9370.