Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. It sounds like some part of the system has crashed. To
help us find the cause of the crash please follow these steps:
1. Look in /var/crash for crash files and if found run:
ubuntu-bug YOURFILE.crash
Then tell us the ID of the newly-created bug.
2. If step 1 failed then look at https://errors.ubuntu.com/user/ID where
ID is the content of file /var/lib/whoopsie/whoopsie-id on the machine.
Do you find any links to recent problems on that page? If so then please
send the links to us.
3. If step 2 also failed then apply the workaround from bug 994921,
reboot, reproduce the crash, and retry step 1.
Please take care to avoid attaching .crash files to bugs as we are
unable to process them as file attachments. It would also be a security
risk for yourself.
Current LTS 20.04 Focal Fossa might be more stable for you.
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1877890
Title:
System Hangs when trying to kill a Window
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Incomplete
Bug description:
Dear Sirs,
I'm a long term user of Ubuntu,
I run a Client/Server system that my clients expect to be very stable.
I ran under Trust Tahr for a long while with great success and no Hangups at
all.
I recently upgraded to Bionic Beaver and I find that I have a number of
Hangups.
They seem to occur mostly when switching between different users.
The latest one that occurred last night that I want to show you here was
caused by something else.
I was watching a video from Youtube under Firefox.
At the end of it I clicked the upper right hand button of the window
to kill the screen. At this point the system froze on me.
I could move the mouse around but none of the keys worked.
I used the SysrRq - Magic Key combination to get the following information
ALT + PrtScrn, ALT + CREISUB
The system re-booted and gave me the following files in /var/crash
4096 May 9 23:38 202005092338
349 May 10 11:01 kexec_cmd
25387 May 9 23:39 linux-image-5.3.0-51-generic-202005092338.crash
69696 May 9 23:38 dmesg.202005092338
291014103 May 9 23:38 dump.202005092338
I used the crash program with the Symbols file and in the backtrace section
under the exception line it says:
exception RIP mwait_idle+132
in the disassembly of mwait_idle
the line at +132 is
mov %gs:0x72774cb4(%rip),%r12d # 0x10350
Any information that I can supply to you I will be glad to in order to
aid you in solving this problem.
I'm fairly computer literate and so I can follow any directions that
you want to give to me.
I have enjoyed using Ubutnu for many years but I do need a Stable
environment for my Development work and for my users satisfaction.
Yours truly,
Frank Krauss
ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:18.04.37
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.3.0-51.44~18.04.2-generic 5.3.18
Uname: Linux 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.14
Architecture: amd64
CrashDB: ubuntu
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Sun May 10 13:19:54 2020
InstallationDate: Installed on 2020-04-20 (19 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190805)
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
TERM=xterm-256color
PATH=(custom, no user)
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
Symptom: release-upgrade
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
---
ProblemType: Bug
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.14
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC1: fkrauss 1808 F.... pulseaudio
/dev/snd/controlC0: fkrauss 1808 F.... pulseaudio
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
InstallationDate: Installed on 2020-04-20 (20 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190805)
IwConfig:
ens2 no wireless extensions.
lo no wireless extensions.
Package: linux (not installed)
ProcEnviron:
TERM=xterm-256color
PATH=(custom, no user)
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcFB: 0 nouveaudrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.3.0-51-generic
root=UUID=b52c713d-a2a9-4b17-8eed-79a031a415e8 ro quiet splash zswap.enabled=1
zswap.compressor=lz4 crashkernel=512M-:192M vt.handoff=1 idle=nomwait
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.3.0-51.44~18.04.2-generic 5.3.18
RelatedPackageVersions:
linux-restricted-modules-5.3.0-51-generic N/A
linux-backports-modules-5.3.0-51-generic N/A
linux-firmware 1.173.17
RfKill:
Tags: bionic
Uname: Linux 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm audio cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo video
_MarkForUpload: True
dmi.bios.date: 02/08/2010
dmi.bios.vendor: Intel Corp.
dmi.bios.version: PRG3110H.86A.0070.2010.0208.1351
dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
dmi.board.name: DG31PR
dmi.board.vendor: Intel Corporation
dmi.board.version: AAD97573-306
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnIntelCorp.:bvrPRG3110H.86A.0070.2010.0208.1351:bd02/08/2010:svn:pn:pvr:rvnIntelCorporation:rnDG31PR:rvrAAD97573-306:cvn:ct3:cvr:
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1877890/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp