** Description changed:

  [Impact]

  The option CONFIG_DMA_CMA seems to cause resume problems on the t2.*
  instance types (Xen).

- With this option enabled device drivers are allowed to use the Contiguous
Memory Allocator (CMA) for DMA operations. So, drivers can allocate large
physically-contiguous blocks of memory, instead of relying on the I/O map or
scatter-gather support.
-
- However, on resume, the memory used by DMA needs to be re-initialized /
re-allocated, but it may fail to allocate large chunks of contiguous memory due
to the fact that we also need to restore the hibernation image, using more
memory and causing a system hang during the resume process.
+
+ However, on resume, the memory used by DMA needs to be re-initialized /
+ re-allocated, but it may fail to allocate large chunks of contiguous
+ memory due to the fact that we also need to restore the hibernation
+ image, using more memory and causing a system hang during the resume
+ process.

  [Test case]

  Hibernate / resume any t2.* instance (especially t2.nano, where the
  problem seems to happen 100% of the times after 2 consecutive
  hibernate/resume cycles).

  [Fix]

  Disable CONFIG_DMA_CMA.

  NOTE: this option is already disabled in the generic kernel (see LP:
  #1362261).

+ With this option disabled the success rate of hibernation on the t2.*
+ instance types during our tests jumped to 100%.
+
  [Regression potential]

  It is a .config change, no regression potential except with the fact
  that disabling this option also disables the module 'etnaviv' (Vivante
  graphic card), that is not really needed in the aws kernel.

[...]

+ It is a .config change, no regression potential except for the fact that
+ disabling this option also disables the module 'etnaviv' (Vivante
  graphic card), that is not really needed in the aws kernel.

** Description changed:

  [Impact]

- The option CONFIG_DMA_CMA seems to cause resume problems on the t2.*
- instance types (Xen).
+ The option CONFIG_DMA_CMA seems to cause hibernation failures on the
[...]

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-aws in Ubuntu.

  aws: disable CONFIG_DMA_CMA

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-aws source package in Focal: