Public bug reported:

Hi. When I start my system and have external monitor plugged either in
USB-C or HDMI, the system won't boot. It gets stuck just after the grub
before login screen. I have fresh new install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on
Lenove Thinkpad P53s laptop.

If I unplug the monitor and than plug them into system after I log in,
everything works fine. The after restart the same problem arises. I have
dual boot with windows, and I can log to windows with two monitors
plugged with no problem.

similar to this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1876741

Linux michal-P53s 5.4.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30
UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 5.4.0-26.30-generic 5.4.30

** Tags: focal

** Description changed:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1879484
+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1876741

-
- Linux michal-P53s 5.4.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30 UTC
2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
+ Linux michal-P53s 5.4.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30
+ UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Ubuntu 5.4.0-26.30-generic 5.4.30

  Ubuntu won't boot if external device plugged in