I've installed the kernel from that link, and removed the "nomodeset"
kernel parameter.  The system has booted fine and Wayland is working
again.

I'll let you know if I see a hang on boot.

---


v5.7 (3d77e6a8804abcc0504c904bd6e5cdf3a5cf8162)

9a1ce750a7d96cc5b6203fb82bc7cc9d5d429552824caaaa4d975f9747fe6916  
linux-headers-5.7.0-050700_5.7.0-050700.202005312130_all.deb
f1f39b9b7efd9b4ea25f991ef585115d2c853b332e515596efc85556c88f4478  
linux-headers-5.7.0-050700-generic_5.7.0-050700.202005312130_amd64.deb
31c09679caf2038911f4615d63b7b7e76803f269857cd5e5f56e7aaaf6b5b951  
linux-image-unsigned-5.7.0-050700-generic_5.7.0-050700.202005312130_amd64.deb
8e14747de53e2cfb8ba221426b362874f36b005fd216c06a2fbc47dcae40d1b6  
linux-modules-5.7.0-050700-generic_5.7.0-050700.202005312130_amd64.deb

$ cat /proc/cmdline 
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.7.0-050700-generic 
root=UUID=f7c34228-ee6f-4043-931c-f4752ad503c8 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

$ cat /proc/version 
Linux version 5.7.0-050700-generic (kernel@tangerine) (gcc version 9.3.0 
(Ubuntu 9.3.0-13ubuntu1), GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.34) #202005312130 
SMP Mon Jun 1 01:33:12 UTC 2020

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1877889

Title:
  Intermittent hangs on boot Ubuntu 20.04 on Lenovo E595

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Hello,
  I see occasional hangs on boot.  The hangs occur after entering the LUKS 
decryption password for the root filesystem, and before the login screen is 
displayed.  The "/boot" filesystem is not encrypted, so the initramfs is 
loading fine etc.  The hangs are intermittent.  Sometimes I don't see a hang 
for 10+ boots in a row, and sometimes I'll get a hang 5 times in a row.

  When the hang occurs the boot splash screen is visible (not the login
  screen).  The system is still responsive to SysRq keys, so I can
  somewhat safely issue S+U+S+B sequence to try booting again without
  corrupting much.

  I have tried removing the "quiet splash" kernel parameters that are
  enabled by default on Ubuntu desktop to see if any interesting
  messages occur that way.  So far however I have not experienced a hang
  with "quiet splash" removed.

  This system is a Lenovo E595 (Ryzen 3500U) with the latest BIOS from
  Lenovo installed (v1.16), running Ubuntu 20.04 desktop.  I am
  submitting this bug using `ubuntu-bug linux-image-generic`, but I
  don't know for sure if this is a kernel issue or something else.

  I suspect my bug might be the same as this one already reported (
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1873594 ), but
  I'm filing my own anyway as a means to capture more details of my
  system.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  Package: linux-image-generic 5.4.0.29.34
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-29.33-generic 5.4.30
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-29-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  paul       2507 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  paul       2507 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun May 10 20:09:53 2020
  MachineType: LENOVO 20NFCTO1WW
  ProcFB: 0 amdgpudrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.4.0-29-generic 
root=UUID=f466d4ea-c251-4721-b071-bd70c82f00e1 ro rootflags=subvol=@ splash 
quiet vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-5.4.0-29-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-5.4.0-29-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.187
  SourcePackage: linux
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-04-24 (15 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 03/30/2020
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: R11ET36W (1.16 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 20NFCTO1WW
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: None
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrR11ET36W(1.16):bd03/30/2020:svnLENOVO:pn20NFCTO1WW:pvrThinkPadE595:rvnLENOVO:rn20NFCTO1WW:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:
  dmi.product.family: ThinkPad E595
  dmi.product.name: 20NFCTO1WW
  dmi.product.sku: LENOVO_MT_20NF_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad E595
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad E595
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1877889/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to