I've tested this on a Haswell, Intel Core2 Duo and Conroe CPUs under
emulation. The latter two CPUS don't have AES instruction sets and work
fine.  Attached are some benchmarks.

Also regression tested on Intel Core2 Duo and Haswell with the ubuntu
zfs autotests, so I believe I've covered AES and non-AES code paths in
the testing.

** Attachment added: "LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet data from performance tests
on a memory backed ZFS encrypted file system."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zfs-linux/+bug/1881107/+attachment/5380055/+files/zfs-accellerated-performance-test.ods

** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-focal

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  zfs: backport AES-GCM performance accelleration

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in zfs-linux source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in zfs-linux source package in Groovy:

  == SRU Justification ==

  Upstream commit 31b160f0a6c673c8f926233af2ed6d5354808393 contains AES-
  GCM acceleration changes that significantly improve encrypted
  performance.

  Tests on a memory backed pool show performance improvements of ~15-22%
  for AES-CCM writes, ~17-20% AES-CCM reads, 34-36% AES-GCM writes and
  ~79-80% AES-GCM reads on a Sandybridge x86-64 CPU, so this looks like
  a promising optimization that will benefit a lot of users.

  == The fix ==

  Backport of upstream 31b160f0a6c673c8f926233af2ed6d5354808393 - this
  is already backported in Groovy ZFS 0.8.3-1ubuntu13

  == Test case ==

  Run ZFS performance tests from ubuntu_performance_zfs_encryption
  ubuntu kernel team autotests. With the fix the encryption runs
  significantly faster, as noted earlier in the SRU justification.

  Also test with the 4 types of ZFS ubuntu autotests, should not fail
  any of these.

  == Regression Potential ==

  This fix alters the crypto engine and adds in new optimizations for
  CPUs that have capable instruction sets.  There is a risk that this
  new crypto code is erroneous.