At some point I was able to purge anything installed with *nvidia* in
it... reboot and get UI without `nomodeset` intervention. I then
installed `nvidia-driver-435` and have left it alone since then. I'll
try 440 again another time.

  Kernel 5.4.0-37-generic leads to black screen after grub,
  5.4.0-26-generic works normally

  I don't know how to get more info, if anyone gives me any pointers I'd be
happy to dig into it.
  My laptop is an HP Elitebook 820 G3.

  I expect: The screen where I enter the drive decryption key
  What happens: The screen goes black after grub

  It does work normally with the older kernel 5.4.0-26-generic.

  Extra info:
  Release:      20.04