Maybe different machines have different root cause for this issue, for
my case:

I have 3 laptops: 1 dell laptop with intel BT 8087:0aaa, 1 dell laptop
with Atheros BT 0cf3:e007 and 1 lenovo laptop with intel BT 8087:0029. I
have 4 BT headsets: 1 QC35 II, 1 harman kardon soho wireless, 1 sony wl-
1000x and 1 plantronics Go2.

After freshly installing the ubuntu 20.04, those 4 headsets work well on
both Dell laptops, in the hsp/hfp mode, both playback and recording work
well.

But on the Lenovo machine, I reproduced the issue, all headsets could
work in A2DP mode, couldn't output and record in hsp/hfp mode.

I ran $sudo btmon, found after switch to Synchronous connection
successfully (HCI Event: Synchronous Connect Complete), the dell
machines could receive the sco packets from headsets, while the lenovo
machine couldn't. The difference between Lenovo and Dell machines is
they have different BT host controllers. Then I debugged the bt kernel
driver, found on that lenovo machine, the btusb driver could not receive
the usb_isoc packets from headsets (length always equals 0).

So on my LENOVO laptop, it is highly possible this is a kernel driver or
BT firmware/WiFi firmware's bug.

So if possible, you could plug in an external USB BT dongle to redo the
test, let headsets connect to that dongle instead of BT hci on your
laptop. Or you could run sudo btmon to check the log, if it is a
synchronous connection failure or TX/RX on SCO packets failure.

This is a example log captured on my Dell machine (without hsp/hfp
issue), starting capture when manually switch to hsp/hfp mode:

Bluetooth monitor ver 5.48
= Note: Linux version 5.3.0-56-generic (x86_64)

                                   0.694655
= Note: Bluetooth subsystem version 2.22

                                   0.694662
= New Index: 18:1D:EA:86:BE:E6 (Primary,USB,hci0)

                            [hci0] 0.694666
= Open Index: 18:1D:EA:86:BE:E6

                            [hci0] 0.694667
= Index Info: 18:1D:EA:86:BE:E6 (Intel Corp.)

                            [hci0] 0.694668
@ MGMT Open: bluetoothd (privileged) version 1.14

                          {0x0002} 0.694673
@ MGMT Open: bluetoothd (privileged) version 1.14

                          {0x0001} 0.694674
@ MGMT Open: btmon (privileged) version 1.14

                          {0x0003} 0.694731
< HCI Command: Exit Sniff Mode (0x02|0x0004) plen 2

                         #1 [hci0] 6.574419
        Handle: 256
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
>
>                            #2 [hci0] 6.688939
      Exit Sniff Mode (0x02|0x0004) ncmd 1
> HCI Event: Mode Change (0x14) plen 6
>
>                            #3 [hci0] 6.829008
        Handle: 256
        Mode: Active (0x00)
        Interval: 0.000 msec (0x0000)
< HCI Command: Setup Synchronous Connection (0x01|0x0028) plen 17

                         #4 [hci0] 6.829108
        Handle: 256
        Transmit bandwidth: 8000
        Receive bandwidth: 8000
        Max latency: 10
        Setting: 0x0060
          Input Coding: Linear
          Input Data Format: 2's complement
          Input Sample Size: 16-bit
          # of bits padding at MSB: 0
          Air Coding Format: CVSD
        Retransmission effort: Optimize for power consumption (0x01)
        Packet type: 0x0380
          3-EV3 may not be used
          2-EV5 may not be used
          3-EV5 may not be used
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
>
>                            #5 [hci0] 6.830016
      Setup Synchronous Connection (0x01|0x0028) ncmd 1
> HCI Event: Max Slots Change (0x1b) plen 3
>
>                            #6 [hci0] 6.834999
        Handle: 256
        Max slots: 1
> HCI Event: Synchronous Connect Complete (0x2c) plen 17
>
>                            #7 [hci0] 6.917015
        Handle: 257
        Address: 48:C1:AC:D1:18:12 (PLANTRONICS, INC.)
        Link type: eSCO (0x02)
        Transmission interval: 0x0c
        Retransmission window: 0x02
        RX packet length: 60
        TX packet length: 60
        Air mode: CVSD (0x02)
> SCO Data RX: Handle 0 flags 0x00 dlen 48
>
>                            #8 [hci0] 6.919960
> ACL Data RX: Handle 256 flags 0x02 dlen 20
>
>                            #9 [hci0] 6.924559
      Channel: 64 len 16 [PSM 0 mode 0] {chan 0}
        63 ff 14 00 01 41 54 2b 56 47 53 3d 31 35 0d 12  c....AT+VGS=15..
> HCI Event: Max Slots Change (0x1b) plen 3
>
>                           #10 [hci0] 6.926005
        Handle: 256
        Max slots: 5
< SCO Data TX: Handle 257 flags 0x00 dlen 48

                        #11 [hci0] 6.926474
< ACL Data TX: Handle 256 flags 0x00 dlen 19

                        #12 [hci0] 6.927142
      Channel: 88 len 15 [PSM 0 mode 0] {chan 0}
        61 ef 17 0d 0a 2b 56 47 4d 3d 31 35 0d 0a d4     a....+VGM=15...
< ACL Data TX: Handle 256 flags 0x00 dlen 14

                        #13 [hci0] 6.927574
      Channel: 88 len 10 [PSM 0 mode 0] {chan 0}
        61 ef 0d 0d 0a 4f 4b 0d 0a d4                    a....OK...
> SCO Data RX: Handle 0 flags 0x00 dlen 48
>
>                           #14 [hci0] 6.929969
> SCO Data RX: Handle 0 flags 0x00 dlen 48
>
>                           #15 [hci0] 6.929976
> SCO Data RX: Handle 0 flags 0x00 dlen 48
>
>                           #16 [hci0] 6.929977
> HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
>
>                           #17 [hci0] 6.931993
        Num handles: 1
        Handle: 256
        Count: 1
> HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
>
>                           #18 [hci0] 6.936043
        Num handles: 1
        Handle: 256
        Count: 1

                        #23 [hci0] 6.940293
< SCO Data TX: Handle 257 flags 0x00 dlen 48

                        #24 [hci0] 6.940372
< SCO Data TX: Handle 257 flags 0x00 dlen 48

                        #25 [hci0] 6.940428

Packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  [Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC] Bluetooth headset not working when selecting
  HSP/HFP audio profile in Focal Fossa

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  After updating the release from Ubuntu 19.10 to 20.04, the bluetooth
  headset doesn't work anymore when HSP/HFP profile is selected.

  With Ubuntu 19.10 the headset was working, there was audio and the mic
  was perfect for video conferencing.

  [Steps to reproduce]
  1. Connect headset (used blueman to setup and connect)
  1.1. When connected the system automatically selects A2DP profile
  2. Start playing audio (browser or other)
  3. Change profile to HSP/HFP with pavucontrol (or blueman)
  4. The audio disappears and microphone is not working (no input)
  5. Optionally switch back to A2DP and the audio comes back

  [Expected]
  When switching to HSP/HFP the audio should keep playing and the microphone
should start working

  [Notes]
  I tried with pavucontrol to switch between profiles while playing audio from
a browser.
  As side note there's a led in the headset that still blinks when switching
profile.

  I tried deleting the pulse folder under user's profile .config without
  success, also reinstalled packages and did a `sudo alsa force-reload`
  and rebooting several times.

  Note: not sure this is a duplicate of [Bug #1576559], it looks quite
  different since the profile changes but the headset stops working.

  [System info]
  Ubuntu: 20.04 - Linux 5.4.0-29-generic x86_64
  pulseaudio: 1:13.99.1-1ubuntu3
  bluez: 5.53-0ubuntu3

  Headset: Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC