Beyond comment #5 where I confirmed Kubuntu is identical.

In
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2448800&p=13979514#post13979514
a user found the same with Xubuntu 18.04.5 (only that was an installed
18.04.4 upgraded to 18.04.5 rather than my 'live' testing)

  k/lubuntu 18.04.5 text unreadable on old thinkpads (radeon, HWE 5.4
  kernel only)

  ** Summary
  Screen is unreadable much of the time with black badly-tuned-digital-tv type
fragments covering image. As you action things (use a menu, click on a
different window etc) the black fragments move (though often only parts of
screen; not all of screen)

  ** Background

  This was looked into because of a number of support requests and I
  detected a pattern.  All users are using the HWE kernel, and issue
  didn't occur using 18.04.4, though I personally only tested the live
  daily (during the development cycle).

  - thinkpad x31

https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/reviving-thinkpad-x31-problems-with-messed-up-screen/1457/
  - thinkpad t42
  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2448800&p=13979514#post13979514
  - thinkpad t41

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1266918/latest-updates-to-lubuntu-18-04-4-lts-32-bit-create-almost-impossible-graphics-i

  (and I believe others before I recognized the pattern & started
  noting; I ignored initially as I had no issues with t43, not having
  used the t42p or r50p in QA testing for awhile - a scan of my QA-
  testing live will show when I tested with each box in first line of
  comments).  I've also seen this on very different boxes to old
  thinkpads too.

  My boxes impacted

  - ibm thinkpad t42p (pentium m, 2gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2;
rv350/m10 gl)
  - ibm thinkpad r50p (pentium m, 1gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2;
rv350/m10 gl)

  ** 20.04/HWE kernel only

  If I live QA-test using the 18.04.4 ISO or released image, no issues
  occur (using 5.3 kernel & it's packages).  Likewise I have no issues
  using the GA (4.15) kernel in testing (the r50p was used more
  regularly in testing in prior bionic cycles, alas not much in 18.04.5
  development/recently; expecting same results with thinkpad t43 which
  does not have this issue)

  This report should possibly be filed on xserver-xorg. I've only
  experienced it with old radeon thinkpads (but screen on box makes it
  difficult to explore)

  (Filed online as I've been struggling to file this on actual box)

  I get the same issue when using Kubuntu 18.04.5 live on r50p