------- Comment From kamale...@in.ibm.com 2020-08-27 02:48 EDT-------
> Starting to work on this SRU I figures out that this kernel config option is
> already enabled.
> I checked the config file that is created at kernel build time as well as
> the master-next trees of focal and groovy - and CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER is
> enabled for all architectures, incl. ppc64el:
>
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
> Release:      20.04
> Codename:     focal
> $ uname -r
> 5.4.0-44-generic
> $ grep CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER /boot/config-$(uname -r)
> CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
>
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
> Release:      20.10
> Codename:     groovy
> $ uname -r
> 5.4.0-42-generic
> $ grep CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER /boot/config-$(uname -r)
> CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
>
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
> Release:      20.10
> Codename:     groovy
> $ uname -r
> 5.8.0-16-generic
> <proposed kernel>
> $ grep CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER /boot/config-$(uname -r)
> CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
>
> user@box:~/ubuntu-focal-master-next/debian.master/config$ grep -R
> CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER *
> annotations:CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER                        policy<{'amd64':
> 'y', 'arm64': 'y', 'armhf': 'y', 'i386': 'y', 'ppc64el': 'y', 's390x': 'y'}>
> config.common.ubuntu:CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
>
> user@box:~/ubuntu-groovy-master-next/debian.master/config$ grep -R
> CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER *
> annotations:CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER                        policy<{'amd64':
> 'y', 'arm64': 'y', 'armhf': 'y', 'ppc64el': 'y', 's390x': 'y'}>
> config.common.ubuntu:CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER=y
>
> Is CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER the only option you were looking for, or is/are
> there other options needed or is it not working for you (even if set)?
> Otherwise I would say there is nothing to do, since it's already configured
> like requested.

Thank you for confirming, sorry my bad for not checking in 20.04 kernel.
I verified it  on 5.4.0-42-generic (20.04.1) kernel. The test is a
simple script, which takes a function to be profiled and a CPU number to
check for profiled function count. The script calls a program, that
calls the kernel function to be profiled, and in this case its "cat
/proc/cmdline".  The number of times the program gets called is random.

With every instance of the test script the profile count is reset to 0
by disabling/enabling the function_profiler, after calling program
a.k.a. "cat /proc/cmdline" for random N times, it displays the profile
count on the CPU passed to the script.

# ./test.sh cmdline_proc_show 31
Enabling/resetting function profiler
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 0
Calling cmdline_proc_show, 48 times
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 48
Disabling function profiler

# ./test.sh cmdline_proc_show 31
Enabling/resetting function profiler
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 0
Calling cmdline_proc_show, 133 times
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 133
Disabling function profiler

# ./test.sh cmdline_proc_show 31
Enabling/resetting function profiler
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 0
Calling cmdline_proc_show, 190 times
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 190
Disabling function profiler

# ./test.sh cmdline_proc_show 31
Enabling/resetting function profiler
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 0
Calling cmdline_proc_show, 0 times
Count of cmdline_proc_show on CPU 31 is : 0
Disabling function profiler

the configs are enabled in 2.04/2.10 kernel, can we please close this
FEAT.

  Enable FUNCTION_PROFILER kernel config option for ppc64le

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Incomplete
Status in linux source package in Groovy:

  Please enable CONFIG_FUNCTION_PROFILER config option for ppc64le
  kernel.  This option enables the ftrace function profiling in the
  kernel, it helps in getting the function profiling information such as
  hit count, time spend and other profiling details.

  Enabling this kernel config option should not have any performance
  impact unless the function profiling is enabled.